Monday 5 November 2012

Ode to Modupe

Modupe fun e aburo
You make me smile 
Just the simple thought of your name: olusola modupe. 
Could you have been better named?
From my earliest memory to my latest 
Candy and sweetness are what comes to mind when I think of you 
But wait 
I remember being caught by mama for staring at her in the toilets when we were young.

Little did she know I was merely playing hide and seek with you. 
And even today, even though I hide, you still you still seek my best interest in your own inimitable style.

What i most admire about you 
Is that,...
Although am your elder brother 
You have always looked out for my best interest and with respect  
Even thru my bouts of arrogance and flights of fancy.

There are not many people in this world you can say genuinely love you without question and thru all your faults.

Modupe fun e aburo
I wish that one day I can be 10% of the 100% you have been for me.
Modupe fun e aburo
Olorun a wa pelu e titi laye

I love you without restraint even when it's not so obvious.

Olumide babafunsho oluyomi awolesi.x 201012@04.58

1 comment:

  1. Ode to Egban mi

    Egban mi...
    There I was thinking we had years to take each other for granted
    Ours was truly a special relationship, one that loved and loves in spite and despite

    From following you on your paper rounds in South Norwood
    To playing hide & seek and you getting scolded by mum
    From singing our duets outside the house
    To the 5 nil scrabble championship - we never did play that rematch!
    From days travelling to see you in Ijanikin, To dreams of what would be...

    I remember when I was ready to check out of Lagos,
    one call to you is all it took and i had the ticket in my hand
    On the way to England, I got to see Libya and Moscow
    Only you....Egban mi

    Through your flights of fancy, you remained Egban mi
    Even at times when we disagreed, our differences never got in the way of our affection
    Along the way you gave me 3 beautiful nieces - what a joy,
    sisters and friends.
    And then in 2008 the news that you had cancer. I remember the the day the Big C invaded our world.
    The message "Treatable but not curable"
    With God all things are possible...You fought back gallantly like the true solider.
    Cancer free - the news we had all been waiting for.

    We had 4 years of healing wounds, creating memories, birthday celebrations and warms summer bbq's just because...

    In your quest you continued to reinvent yourself - something i always admired, RH20, Kamil - it didn't matter to me, for me you will always be Egban mi

    Your 50th birthday, your girls did you proud, you walked in all smiles with your usual charm...We all danced to the oldies.
    wow we've still got the moves...Not sure that the younger ones agreed

    The following month the news we had all been dreading. the Big C was back again. Yet you pressed on, juggling treatment, with work and life. Only you would go into hospital with your laptop and printer ready to turn the hospital bed into your office

    Egban mi

    Another victory - cancer free again
    The last phase, a transplant to get you bank on track. Success
    The phone call, infection ICU
    The exchange of messages on what's app, the prayers
    Again the duets - singing "I believe I can fly"
    The phone call - life support...the realization
    Egban mi, this can't be it, this is not how the story was supposed to end

    But alas Jehovah had a different plan and to that we take solace
    That as much as we love you, He loves you more and to Him we submit our will

    Egban mi, Egban mi, Sun re Egban mi

    Modupe

    ReplyDelete