Tuesday 23 November 2010

Curious Case of Benedict


Curious Case of Benedict
Just a year after he said condoms could be making the AIDS crisis worse, Benedict said that for some people, such as male prostitutes, using them could represent a first step in assuming moral responsibility "in the intention of reducing the risk of infection."
The Vatican's ban on contraception remains, but Alberto Melloni, an Italian church historian, said Benedict "opened without a doubt a crack that cannot help but have consequences."
Benedict stepped where no pope has gone since Paul VI's famous 1968 encyclical "Humanae Vitae" barred Catholics from using condoms and other artificial contraception. Pressure to lift the ban has grown with the spread of the HIV virus, which has infected some 60 million people worldwide and led to 25 million AIDS-related deaths over three decades.
Earlier this week the pope announced that condoms might be used in the case of Gay prostitutes. One’s mind is furtive with worries and wonders about his priest and young boys. It’s been a concern of mine the issue of Contraception and the Catholic church!
For centuries the Roman Catholic Church has ordained and notice I say, the RCC and not God or his representative on earth JESUS, that it is against the use of contraceptive. In this momentous of all weeks, which marks the end of the Christian year and the advent of the birth of Jesus.
Am catholic and my story is one of daily miracles. Four years ago I wasn’t attending church as I had had my fill of Church going in my youth. While I was in Lagos following the death of my mother I attended the Divine Mercy Catholic Church – Falamo Ikoyi. I had resisted for a time going into this church. I would often wait in the car while my friend attended service. However, on this particular day I agreed to attend the service. Going thru the routine, it came the period of the priest’s sermon and although the church was packed it appeared as though the priest was talking directly to me, I looked behind me to see if he was addressing someone else. You know what, he was talking to me directly, and somehow it wasn’t the priest talking to me. Those who know me would never associate me with moments of divine intervention. Not that I didn’t believe, but I had issues with how God spoke to me and how his teachings were being interpreted by his so called reps on earth. Long story short,… God spoke to me very directly that day,..every song, every psalm, every passage of the bible hit me hard. I cried, I sang and I hoped for better days. On my return to the UK, I joined the Catholic faith, was baptised, confirmed and took holy communion. I am acutely aware of the historical aspect of the Catholic church thru the ages and how its perceived. However, my presence in this church was to worship my Father, to have a personal relationship with him and to commune with others of the same belief.
But I digress. My point in writing this piece and the argument on which i hang my hat is to ask why it has taken 42 years for the Pope to intimate on something that would alleviate the spread of AID/HIV/POVERTY/HUNGER. If Benedict is doing this for popularity then the question is? How far has he digressed from the teachings of Jesus which he supposed to expound! Jesus roamed the earth, curing, healing and loving the poor. He didn’t throw down edicts from fancy homes in the heart of the roman empire. He moved amongst his people. Don’t misunderstand, I know times are different and it would be near impossible for him to administer as Jesus freely did. However, he has his bishops, canons, and local priests. Yet the most those are known and seen to be doing is molestation of those whom they are supposed to serve. The RCC spend their time defending their priest, and less on what would heal the world. In the alleged first world most catholics ignore the edicts on contraception and sex before marriage and settle for the sacrament of reconciliation. In Africa & Asia where most of the followers of the catholic faith inhabit. The edict on contraception is keenly observed. In the Phillipines women have up to 10 children they cannot support because they are not allowed to use contraception or abortion. These are often poor and affected families who live in shanty towns and feed off the waste of the wealthy who are too damn smart to observe such pervasive edict. In Africa, we have the spread of the Aids virus, yet the Pope wouldn’t allow the use of contraception. In the west, the use of contraception has marginalised the spread of Aids yet in the poorest part of the world the Pope’s refusal and the locals observance of an uninspired edict that innately affects their lives is amazing!
"I was born Catholic, I was baptized, but in my life I feel profoundly secular," Bruni said. "I find that the controversy coming from the Pope’s message is very damaging. In Africa it’s often Church people who look after sick people. It’s astonishing to see the difference between the theory and the reality."
The sultry ex-Supermodel, who has campaigned widely against AIDS, accused the Catholic Church of "damaging" Africa with its views on birth control.
The Italian-born Bruni is so furious that she revealed she no longer practiced the religion
The above quote attributed to President of France Sarkozy’s wife is profound in its response to Benedicts appraisal that the use of condom is contributing to the spread of Aid. In less than a year there appears to have been a complete turnaround by Benedict. It’s a welcome change of mind. At every mass I pray to God for benedict to return to Christ and his teachings. Lead his followers on earth to salvation, away from desperation, hunger, pain, poverty and religious dogma!
The view expressed here are my own. I am not affiliated to any organisation nor represent any body or groups. I am a citizen of the world a lover of mankind and independent of mind & thoughts.
Remember: runningwater cannot be stopped!

No comments:

Post a Comment